Each employer shall furnish to each of his employees a place of employment, which is free from recognized hazards that are causing or likely to cause death or serious physical harm to the employee.
JCAHO Accreditation Manual, Hazardous Materials and Waste Management
- (EC 2.4) Environmental monitoring should be included in your Hazardous Materials and Waste Management Program:
- Ethylene Oxide
- Waste Anesthetic Gases
- Special mention given to Passive Dosimeter monitoring
- (EC 9) Minimize risks…monitoring hazardous gases and vapors
- (EC 10) Hospital monitors hazardous gas and vapors to determine acceptable levels…
- Monitor for Nitrous Oxide when anesthetic equipment is installed and every three months thereafter
- Includes the following type of monitoring:
- Leak testing of equipment
- Monitoring of air in the employees personal breathing zone
- Environmental (room air) monitoring
- 1910.1048(d)(1)(i) Each employer who has a workplace covered by this standard shall monitor employees to determine their exposure to formaldehyde.
- 1910.1047(d)(1)(i) Determinations of employee exposure shall be made from breathing zone air samples that are representative of the 8-hour TWA and 15-minute short-term exposures of each employee.